Sunday, June 21, 2009

i no eat meat


I find myself having to remind my relatives over and over [and over again] that I don't eat meat. Being a vegetarian here is rare unless you are a Buddhist monk. The three basic meats--chicken, pork, beef--are staple foods in almost every Taiwanese dish. They have their niurou mian (beef noodle soup) which I used to love when I ate beef, jipai (chicken steak), zhujiao (pig feet)... I've been living with my aunt for four weeks now, and yet sometime last week she cooked jijiao (chicken feet) and asked if I wanted to eat it. Last night after we arrived at the Keelung train station, Xiao Mei A-yi and Jojo took me to Burger King for a quick bite before meeting with our tour group. I reminded them that I don't eat meat nor do I eat any type of burger [or greasy foods]. So, we trekked over to Starbucks next door. All their sandwiches had meat in it. Xiaomei Ah-yi points to a bacon and cheese crossiant and goes "oh, you should get that, it looks good!" And then at the night market later, they both ask me if I want to eat fried chicken.. Aaahhhhhh!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. ahh.. you don't eat meat? you definitely have to try Bai Gu Yuan (the mushroom hotpot place I mentioned in my latest post). It's SOO good. And um.. Easy House Vegetarian. And Jendow Buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I'll definitely have to check those places out...esp the huoguo place! There are quite a few vegetarian restaurants around my aunt's place, so finding food is, thankfully, convenient.

    ReplyDelete