Monday, May 10, 2010

what is that pork blood doing in my soup?

I don't understand the fascination with pork blood in Taiwan. It is made as a black spotted block--mixed with glutinous rice--that could pass as tofu...which I did accidentally eat one time because it was in my shabu shabu. It is usually found in hot pots and soups. At night markets, it is commonly found as a block on a stick, dipped in soy sauce, then rolled in peanut powder, and decorated with cilantro. Double yuck right there (I despise cilantro). 

Someone please explain to me how this looks sooo tasty!? And the other mystery meats around it don't look very appetizing either.


Took these pictures at ShiDa night market / 師大夜市. At these vendors, you pick and choose which meats and vegetables you want, and they dump it all in a plastic baggie for you to enjoy. Check out the chicken feet on the top level. I actually used to looove chicken feet (from dim sum) when I was younger...til I found out what it actually was...

3 comments:

  1. get into these foods u will one day, sounds like it will take longer for u than everyone else, but u will muahahahaha yummmyyyyy~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with all the weird things, it was the cockroach in my kimchee fried rice last night that has me taking a temporary reprieve from Shida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwww. Which restaurant was that at? I've eaten at a Korean place in ShiDa...hope it wasn't the same one!

    ReplyDelete