Thursday, February 25, 2010

busy, busy bee

I have been extremely busy with registering and adding classes, which is a complete HEADACHE. The system here is awfully confusing. I don't even want to talk about all of it, thinking about it makes me want to change my flight to go home now--or drop out and just travel! Anyhow, so far I have attended two classes: Marketing Management and Int'l Mktg Mgmt. So far, I love both. Thankfully, they are taught in English. The business classes here seem very competitive and hardcore. Of course, that is to be expected considering NTU's College of Mgmt is ranked pretty highly, and their Executive MBA program is #40 in the world! Hopefully this semester won't be too stressful, because I still want to have enough time and energy to explore Taiwan.

A few interesting, odd, and funny cultural differences I have observed:
-people really love their afternoon naps here. in schools, probably all levels from elementary to high school, is a specific nap period! gee, wish I went to high school here!
-Taiwanese people travel in groups. You will see girls holding hands - which of course in other regions of the world would be interpreted otherwise, but they are just representing their friendship.
-no toilet paper in most bathrooms. and at NTU, there is usually only one stall of a normal toilet, the rest are squat toilets. um, fun!
-no trash bins anywhere on the streets. it is part of Taiwan's save-the-environment program to teach the society to waste less.
-manpurses! you will see guys carring furry black totes or brown leather handbags. they are all straight, trust me.
-toy dogs in sweaters and strollers.
-peacoats, boots, tights, scarves in 80 degree weather. not to mention, it is like 80% humidity. I have no idea how those girls are keeping their cool. I'd totally faint if I were wearing all that bulk.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy fo ryou that you have found your way to solve the problems!

    ReplyDelete