Sunday, February 21, 2010

i heart taipei

I moved into my dorm Saturday morning. My cousin, Tony who is also a professor at NTU, came to pick me up. My mom, uncle, and aunt (his mom) came along for the ride as well. All five of us squeezed into Tony's sedan, plus my two 50-pounder suitcases. I am so thankful for my family here. It's great to be near family wherever you are! As we were entering Taipei City, I felt a rush of adrenaline. I love the thrill of living in a big city. I hate suburbia life, and living in Xizhi for a week was killing me. The skyscrapers, bright lights, people, restaurants, bars...I know I will be living the good life here. So, it turns out my assigned room is next to the electricity room. It's not a power plant per se, but it's where all the internet and phone lines route from. This room, however, was on the 13th floor - the top floor. The view wasn't amazing - just the other side of the building. I know some people have a view of the city and of Taipei 101! I wish that were me. Anyway, my mom and aunt urged me to move into another room. We went to the front desk to rant. Tony urged the receptionist to find another room in the top floors. No empty rooms, except for the 2nd floor. She gives us the key and we go take a look. It's right above the entrance to the building and in the way corner of the hall. Hmm noise vs. possible health hazards + good location. I finally decided to go with the 2nd floor room to ease my family's worries.

You are probably all curious as to what my dorm looks like right!? It has cream-colored walls, tan tiles, and a large window. Equipped with a phone, desk, bookshelf, shoe rack (!!), built-in wardrobe, fridge, and of course a bed frame (mattress NOT included). The bathroom is nice. The electricity costs money. you have to buy an electricity card and slide it in the electricity control box. It's on a per watt charge! Therefore, the hot water costs money too. So, I guess it's good in a way...it will force me to be more environmentally/money-saving conscious. There is a gym on the first floor, along w
ith a few pool tables, lounge, and a dining area (no food, just microwave, toaster oven, and boiling water). But finding food will definitely not be a problem. In the dorm complex to mine is a Starbucks and 7-11. Then directly across the street is a Mexican restaurant + bar. Down the street are tons and tons of restaurants...Thai, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, sushi, Italian, and a mini-night market (stinky tofu, fried stuff on a stick, etc). I am most certainly in food heaven. Let's just hope I don't gain too many pounds this semester :)



Roosevelt Rd. - one street away from my dorm - the street of restaurants

bright lights, big city

1 comment: