Saturday, April 24, 2010

i eat meat now?

Okay, Okay I know, I said I wouldn't post anything new til after the 29th, but I just had to share something... So those who know me well know that I don't eat meat (excluding seafood and the occasional filet mignon), and that I haven't touched meat since six years ago, aside from the little bits of pork I ate during Chinese New Year back in February. Since then, I haven't craved for any sorts of meat, even though all the food with meat here look sooo tasty and the smell - ahhh meat smells so good! Well, anyway, I caved in.

I woke up yesterday at 1:30pm--I desperately need to catch up on sleep after slaving away to finance for an entire week--hungry and craving for carbs. I walked around the neighborhood, and no restaurants were open. Uh, hello it's lunch time, why isn't anywhere open?!? I walked up and down the little alleys and only found vendors to be open. Starving and indecisive, I passed by a vendor that I always see a long line for. My cousins told me that this Taiwanese specialty is very popular and delicious. Sadly, the only meat they use is pork. But hungry me waited in the line, not even thinking about the fact that I would be devouring pork in a few minutes. The lady asked me what I wanted--you can choose from the menu what kind of pork: lean or fat pork. Of course I went with the lean. I gave her 45NT and got my warm 割包guabao in a plastic baggie and briskly walked back home. 


Was it worth the cave? Oh yes! Juicy, chewy, and slightly sweet the 割包 was totally worth it. Now you're probably wondering what the heck is a guabao. It is a Taiwanese burger. It is an open steamed bun (similar to what you eat with Peking duck) stuffed with braised pork, mustard pickled greens, cilantro, and sweet peanut powder. SO GOOD. I would definitely eat it again! And after eating it, I had decided that only in Taiwan will I cave in for meat. I still won't touch poultry because I don't like the texture of it, but since pork's texture is similar to beef I am okay with it. 

2 comments:

  1. welcome back from the dark side. meat is bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. gua bao is a good reason to cave in. though, wow! six years! so many things are made of pork, like xlb, so it's hard not to eat meat here

    ReplyDelete