Tuesday, April 13, 2010

obsessed

A few random pop culture observations I noticed:

TW pop culture LOVES Lady Gaga. And, I mean lovelovelove. I hear "rah-ah-ah-ah-ah-roma-gaga-ooh-la-la" every day walking along Roosevelt Rd. In the clubs, Lady Gaga will be played 4 times within one hour. And even uglier, some people even dress similar to her on a given day. I suppose they aren't sick of her... yet.

The girls really like to dress cutesy and look like dolls. I've seen girls wearing white knee-high socks, baby pink mini-skirts with a lace or tulle layer peaking out, huge pink bows in their hair, and of course fake lashes and colored contacts. It's not pretty a sight. Some even have their hair dyed barbie-blonde. C'mon, please tell me this looks ridiculous.

Speaking of fashion...some people are really stylish and some just try too hard. I rarely ever see the girls wearing sweats in public. I have seen the oddest clothes. Yesterday I saw a guy wearing baggy jeans, and on the jeans were iron patches of cartoon sneakers. I must say that the majority of clothes I find in stores here that are made in Taiwan are absolutely unflattering, too. Tops are have stitches in the most random places that I would look like I'm hiding a baby.

Oh, and the most absolutely ridiculous and puzzling trend are the glasses without lenses. Why why why!! I tried on a pair a couple days ago and cracked up...my friend told me that I, then, looked "really Taiwanese". It is the leading and universal trend among the teenagers here. Not cute.

5 comments:

  1. Complete the look with blue contacts :D and your lenseless glasses

    ReplyDelete
  2. er.. glasses without lens? i didnt notice anyone wearing them when i was in tw two or three weeks ago, or maybe i didnt look close enough... but wow that's bad man

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yeah sometimes i can't tell unless i get a little closer. but they are ridiculous, usually they are bigger frames and black-rimmed. you will definitely see them if you come to taipei!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea i did see them on the streets, these rather large black frames, just didnt realise that some of them were without a lens. and yea i do also find them not great looking, but i guess that's just what keeping up with whats "in" is all about, u need just one celebrity to do it to turn something stupid into not-so-stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Lady Gaga: I noticed this when I went to a KTV here in Houston, TX with my Taiwanese girlfriend and her friends. Of course, they had me, the white guy, singing "Poker Face." It was a strange experience.

    And on glasses: a few months ago, my high school students were doing that. They seem to have stopped,though. I'll be teaching in August, so I'll have to see if I see it in Hsinchu myself.

    -Josh, http://transmorgified.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete