Wednesday, July 8, 2009

3rd treasure of Taiwan: "199 all you can eat"

aka eat til you feel like exploding at the buffet. Tonight a Jo-ma (mom's 3rd eldest brother's wife) invited us to eat at an upscale hotel restaurant, called Brother Hotel Xiong di fan dian. This is the same exact place I ate last time I was in Taiwan 8 years ago--the place where I tipped over a porcelain plate, and it smashed my big toe. So I remember this restaurant because of that, and well the food is sooo amazing. We ate at the Rose Room, which is the buffet on the 13th floor. I didn't take any photos, unfortunately, since it is kinda fancy. But the food was ahhh heaven. Best buffet food ever. I mostly ate seafood--cocktail shrimp, sashimi, mussel, albalone, cold octopus... and I ate a tiny piece of steak because I was desperately craving it when I saw the juicyness of the medium done steak [yeah, I know I'm a very bad pescetarian]. The desserts were the highlight of the night. I had the BEST creme brulee ever here, 10 times better than the $9 creme brulee at that one overpriced restaurant on Forest Ave in Laguna. What I love about the desserts in Taiwan is that they are not overly sweet, so you can eat as much as you wish to and not feel like a pig. I totally got up three times to get more creme brulee. There was this other dessert that was out of this world. I have no idea what it's called, but it was mm mm good. Even my mom, who claims to be on a diet, ate two cups of it. It was kind of like flan, but not as caramely, more like cream/milk. And it had a thin overlay of jam on the surface. This will have to be my last time stuffing my face in Taiwan...or for the rest of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment