Sunday, July 5, 2009

let them eat cake...and peking duck, steamed sea bass, taiwanese style shrimp, and...and.....

We Taiwanese, or actually Asians, love to eat, and eat, and eat til our stomachs can't bear to digest anymore food. Eating is a huge part of our culture, and it is disrespectful to refuse food from others. Today my mom and I were invited to eat a banquet feast by her college friend. There were nine of her college friends in total, so you can imagine how many dishes of entrees we had--dish after dish after dish! Chinese banquet-style meals are set on round tables with a circular lazy susan, and you just rotate it til the food you want to eat is in front of you. I ate to my heart's content, not stopping to think how many calories I was consuming because the food here is not greasy, and there was a lot of food in front of me, how could I stop :)

For those of you who aren't aware [because I had a friend say "I hope you're having fun in China!" to me], Taiwan is an island SEPARATE from China. It is not part of China. nor will it ever be--at least I hope not. Even though I am Taiwanese/Chinese, I am partial to Taiwan because of this cross-strait issue. China's president has rejected Taiwan's bid to join the UN as an independent nation 23 times. The PROC claim Taiwan to be an inalienable part of "One China." So, I just have to put this out there because when my friend, who will not be named, said that I got pretty offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment