Friday, July 10, 2009

quattro, quatre, 四

I have four more days til I head back to the States. It kind of feels like a long time, but at the same time I know these next four days will quickly disappear in front of my eyes.. Today is my last day at the museum. I received my certificate of internship and took a few pictures with my "roommates", Cheng boshi, Mr. Tong Ba (head of research dept.), Zhao Laoshi, and another laoshi who was in fact the most welcoming out of everyone else in the office (besides my adviser and Zhao laoshi). On my way to work, the last time I ride the subway to Xiaonanmen, I have to admit that I got a bit teary-eyed. I survived these 7 weeks, hopping from country to country, being crammed in the subway every morning, walking under the blazing sun and arriving at work soaked in sweat from head to toe, food poisoning from eating night market foods, language barriers, ignoring what my relatives say when they comment on how fat I've become since the last time they saw me [which c'mon was 8 years ago], getting laughed at by a salesperson when I couldn't understand what she said in Chinese, writing extensive research papers at work, squinting my eyes when trying to read traditional Chinese characters, cleaning up poo and pee at an animal shelter, accidentally almost swallowing a piece of metal found in my ice cream.......ah, what an adventure this has been.

Coming here has made me realize how important it is to practice Chinese. Hearing others speak it makes me regret that I quit Chinese school and always spoke English with my parents. Of course my Chinese isn't at level one, but when I speak it people immediately know that I did not grow up here. When I go places with my friends or family, others always ask Ta shi cong na li lai de? "Where is she from?" Obviously my Chinese has an "American" accent. And apparently, I do not look Taiwanese. Quite a few people have commented that my facial expressions are not like other Taiwanese girls, and I have dark skin and freckles as opposed to the million other women in Taiwan who obsessively apply whitening creams to rid their tan and freckles. So, yeah, at times I've felt like an outcast, especially when people constantly stare at me. They would observe me, look at me from head to toe, and I dunno what in the hell they are thinking. Maybe She's definitely a foreigner because she's fat (they say that all foreigners are "overweight") or Hmm she looks interesting, certainly not a Taiwanese. I know I will never assimilate to the Taiwanese culture. There are many things within their society I can never accept and agree with. However, I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to come here and spend time with family, meet new friends, and absorb the culture and environment around me.

Zhao laoshi - who helped me arrange this internship
me and my hard-earned certificate
Cheng boshi/Dr. Kee in Sung - my adviser
Mr. Ba Tong - head of research department

1 comment: